Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Reading Recommendations


I've already wasted most of my morning finishing a mystery/thriller I started yesterday morning and posting photos to my blog. Yes, this is going to be a great distraction from writing. Every time I read a good mystery (and Barry Eisler's Rain Fall is a good mystery) I decide I'm going to write my own. I can think up the characters, the location, some of the tension, but I just can't think of the plot, the all-important mystery to drive the Mystery. Of course, a lot of mediocre mysteries forget to put any mystery in and instead just rely on tension - which isn't really the same thing - but I don't want to write a mediocre mystery.

Also, in the last 2 weeks I read The Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier, which was so strange and good. The kind of story that would have been maybe terrible except Brockmeier is a great great writer, so it was a great book. And I read a really short, intense novel about child soldiers in Africa called, Beasts of No Nation. Wow, talk about being completely transported to another place and way of living. There, 3 great books to think about, all very different, and now I will go work on my own great book.

No comments: