Saturday, June 17, 2006

Thinking

Ever feel like your brain is on the edge of something? I can feel it shaping itself in the corners of my thoughts. I'm pretty sure I had the whole idea as I was falling asleep last night reading The Position by Meg Wolitzer (so good!). There's been a missing something in my novel for so long, I'm afraid to think I may be on the edge of figuring it out, but something H said the other night is still tickling me. It's right in line with what that weird Andy said to me years ago and what Binnie said to everyone... something about the missing part of the story being personality (mine or Netta's?). But I don't want every story I ever tell to sound like me, I want it to sound like the character... still thinking

1 comment:

Heather said...

No, you don't want every book to be about you (though Pam has some funny things to say about that, like how she was sick of herself and determined not to have the "me" character in her novel, but then since that character was missing, all the other characters just ending up talking about her all the time!)

I know you don't want to be the next Pam or anything, but I still think that anecdote is funny, and illustrates how sometimes we make something worse by avoiding it.

Just don't leave out some really good stuff because of what you are trying to avoid.

Oh dang, I sound sanctimonious. Or something. Sorry.

I'm looking up that book you reference, and what was the other one I was going to check out at the library?